Sr. Engineering Manager - Consul Cloud
United States (Remote), Canada (Remote)
Consul helps organizations automate network configurations, discover services, and enable secure connectivity across any cloud or runtime. We recently launched Hashicorp Consul Service on Azure, a fully managed application available through the Azure marketplace. We’ve also announced the availability of Consul on AWS through our flagship HashiCorp Cloud Platform (HCP), a self-service, fully managed platform offering HashiCorp products as a service to automate infrastructure on any cloud.
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
At HashiCorp, we have used the Tao of HashiCorp as our guiding principles for product development and operate according to a strong set of company principles for how we interact with each other. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
About the Role
This is an engineering management role that will provide the opportunity for ownership over current and future Consul cloud services. You’ll directly mentor and grow a small team. Given the small team size, there will also be an opportunity for regular hands-on contributions.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Coach and support the team of engineers building the suite of microservices that run Consul in multiple clouds (Azure/AWS)
- Ensure reliable and scalable Consul cluster operations through thoughtful monitoring and release practices
- Collaborate with internal platform teams to ensure that shared concerns such as identity management, billing, usage analytics, and upgrades are implemented in accordance to customer needs, utilizing shared platform capabilities
- Drive improvements to the Consul product based on the needs of customers consuming it as a cloud service
- Foster a culture of learning and operational improvements through effective incident management processes
- Work with our support organization to ensure we are able to resolve customer support issues within SLAs
- Work closely with our security team to develop policies that ensure our systems are kept secure, and meet regulatory requirements
- Partner with product managers, software engineers, customer success to define the team’s roadmap
- Hire and grow a diverse team in a fast-scaling organization
- Support the career growth for individuals on your team
- Contribute to company-wide initiatives led by our engineering management, recruitment, and people teams
- Opportunity to contribute directly to the tools, programming mostly in Go
You may be a good fit if:
- You’ve managed and supported engineers on large or small teams.
- You have delivered similar solutions (as an individual contributor or manager) for a SaaS/cloud service through a phase of significant growth.
- You’ve been responsible for production services in the past and have a deep understanding of delivering software at scale, and maintaining operational excellence.
- You have expertise in one or more of the major public clouds: AWS, Azure, GCP
- You are passionate about reducing operational toil, and can advocate for product and platform improvements that can scale with product adoption.
Please note, as communication is a critical aspect of how we work, a cover letter is a great way to provide a sample of how you communicate. In your cover letter, describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, and what draws you to this role on Consul particular. Specifics of your past experience that are relevant to are great to include, too.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.
We are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!