Principal Visual Designer, Design Systems
United States (Remote), Canada (Remote)
Location: US or Canada (North America remote); UK/EMEA remote
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
About the Role
HashiCorp Design is looking for a Principal Visual Designer to join our team. If you live and breathe design systems, love solving complex problems, and are passionate about building a world-class multi-platform visual language, this role is for you. As a member of the HashiCorp Design team, you'll work closely with other designers, researchers, product, and engineering teams to bring consistency and simplicity to the HashiCorp portfolio of products. You're passionate about design details and think in systems, not just screens. You understand the importance of both interaction and visual design finesse and think big picture. You are detail-oriented, understand pixel perfection, have a growth mindset, and work independently under tight deadlines.
The ideal candidate will take a systems-mindset to build and integrate consistent, efficient designs (and distill them to appropriate components) across the HashiCorp product portfolio. Emphasis will be on the complete systems life-cycle, from establishing a practice and vision that endures designing, building, documenting, and maintaining a library used by many product teams.
In this role you can expect to:
- Lead the visual and technical direction of the experience design, visual style, and technical tooling, with input from director-level peers of product design and development teams.
- Relay system progress regularly to primary director leads and executive/VP-level sponsors.
- Direct scope of systems concerns and relevant products to adopt it.
- Present the system's mission, library, and process to other groups, including product managers, content specialists, QA, and other design and development teams throughout the enterprise.
- Review the implementation of systems regularly for editorial quality, consistency, and usefulness.
- Conduct quarterly reviews with design system stakeholders to identify successes, challenges, perspectives, and preferences.
- Identify and nurture team growth and culture, identifying opportunities for team members to drive and lead system aspects.
You may be a good fit for the role if you have the following:
- Ten years of experience in software design.
- Proven ability to work with stakeholders to plan and execute large cross-company strategic programs.
- Superior understanding of design systems and effect impact on product design and technology decisions.
- Experience working in direct collaboration with product leadership, development managers, and cross-functional stakeholders.
- Expertise in creating prototypes or wireframes for complex web applications and workflows.
- Fluency in best practices for information architecture and design, accessibility standards, as well as strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques.
- Experience with quick visualizations, rapid prototyping & iterative development.
- An online portfolio demonstrating samples of design deliverables (visual skills, interaction design, iconography, and prototypes) is required to apply for this role
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience owning large-scale projects, communicating timelines, and executing independently.
- A strong understanding of APIs and CLIs as strategic interfaces.
- Experience designing for developer tools/platforms or at a user-focused technology company.
- Experience leading, coaching, or training and product designers.
Attributes we look for:
- Empathy for end-users and consumers
- Humility and a learning mindset
- Listening to understand
- Explain complex ideas simply
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Responsible and takes ownership over work
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-EC1