Sr. Support Engineer
United States (Remote)
Sr. Support Engineer
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc.
Location: The ideal candidate will be located on the west coast or be willing to work in the Pacific Time Zone if not located on the west coast
About the Role
HashiCorp is looking for a high-caliber customer facing engineering professional to join its Support Engineering team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a small team and have a direct impact on HashiCorp’s fast growing business. This highly visible position will be an integral part of both the support engineering and Vault Open Source/Enterprise teams. You are a fit if you thrive in a fast-paced culture that values essential communication, collaboration, and results. You are a self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with an eye for automation, process improvement, and problem solving.
Reporting to the Manager, Support Engineering, the Senior Support Engineer will be a key member of the Customer Success organization and will directly impact customer satisfaction and success. The Support engineer will troubleshoot complex issues related to Vault and Vault Enterprise and independently work to find viable solutions. They will contribute to product growth and development via weekly product and marketing meetings. The Support Engineer will attend customer meetings as needed to help identify, debug and resolve the customer issue and is expected to be a liaison between the customer and HashiCorp engineering. When possible the Support Engineer will update and improve product documentation, guide feature development, and implement bug fixes based on customer feedback.
In this role you can expect to:
- Reproduce and debug customer issues by using or building test environments and tools. This is what you do the majority of your time in this role
- Triage and solve incoming support requests via Zendesk within SLA, including high-severity urgent cases
- Document and record all activity and communication with customers in accordance to both internal and external security standards
- Attend weekly product engineering meetings to discuss issues pertinent to support
- Collaborate with engineers, sales engineers, sales representatives, and technical account managers to schedule, coordinate, and lead customer debugging calls
- Contribute to product documentation, customer knowledge base, and best practices guides
- Continuously improve process and tools for normal, repetitive support tasks
- Periodic 24/7 on-call rotation (one week in every two months)
- Holistic understanding of Vault/Vault Enterprise and the interaction with other Hashicorp Product Suite
- Successfully perform all common work flows within Vault
- 1 contribution to extend or improve product documentation or install guides
- Successfully play with all the elements in Vault Guide (https://www.Vault.io/docs/guides/index.html).
- Ability to effectively triage and respond to Level 1 & 2 inquiries independently
- Ability to provision and bootstrap Vault Cluster with all the advanced features without assistance
- Ride along on 1-2 live customer debugging calls
- Author 1 customer knowledge base article from area of subject matter expertise
- Ability to effectively triage and respond to a production down issue with minimal assistance
- Ability to take any Vault ticket without assistance
- Ability to independently find points of error and identify root cause by examining log files
- Ability to create ongoing KB articles that will benefit all customers
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- At least 5 years of Support Engineering.
- A minimum of 8 years DevOps Engineering, Software Engineering, or System Administration experience
- Experience with Vault is a huge plus
- Experience with scripting tool of choice to help automate re[production environments (for example, Bash, Python, PowerShell)
- Ability to read complex code for troubleshooting and familiarity with Github
- Experience with REST APIs and command line tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills — technical writing experience a plus
- Well-organized, excellent work ethic, attention to detail, and self-starting
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving urgent, high-visibility technical problems
- Familiarity with Distributed Systems, Microservice architecture, and Containers
- Interest in cloud adoption and technology at scale
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and troubleshooting skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-RS1