Sr. Technical Writer
United States (Remote)
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
About the role:
As a Sr. Technical Writer at HashiCorp, you will become a HashiCorp product expert, and teach others to become experts. You will write technical reference documentation as well as assisting engineers in writing documentation and reviewing their work. You will edit with an aim for accuracy, completeness, and intuitive information architecture.
The HashiCorp product suite empowers individuals and companies to provision, secure, connect, and run applications in the cloud according to the modern cloud operating model.
This role is cross-functional between product, engineering, sales engineering, and customer success. You should be excited about taking feedback and requests from the field, learning about and documenting new product features, and explaining existing features and workflows in ever more concise and useful ways. You should be passionate about exploring and understanding systems, and about communicating with peers and colleagues across a variety of disciplines.
In this role you can expect to:
- Review and help write documentation for new product features and functionality.
- Organize existing documentation into a logical flow.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Product to identify documentation gaps.
- Gather feedback about documentation, identify areas of improvement, and implement solutions.
- Empower others to write good documentation via templates, style guides, and clear information architecture.
- Triage requests and decide what content should be published where.
- Review documentation pull requests, which are submitted by a mix of software engineers, customer success, solutions engineers, and the general public.
- Collaborate with Education Engineers to align terminology and knowledge, and to identify the proper formatting and placement for different kinds of content.
- Become an expert user of a HashiCorp product (open source and enterprise Terraform, Vault, Consul, or Nomad) and advise on explainability and terminology.
- Identify cross-linking opportunities between documentation and product user interfaces, tutorials, and marketing materials.
- Collaborate with engineering on intuitive naming and labeling conventions.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- 3+ years of experience in technical writing and editing on devops tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - this will be tested during the interview process and is required to be successful.
- Experience working on ongoing, multi-stakeholder projects.
- Experience structuring information to be easy to discover, navigate, and browse.
- Experience editing the work of other writers.
- Experience with Git and GitHub or another version control system.
- Experience with Swagger, OpenAPI, or similar automated documentation systems.
- Humility and curiosity, especially curiosity.
- Preferred: Hands-on experience in a technical field.
- Optional: Experience in teaching or education. This could be as a technical evangelist, tutor, or mentor.
- Optional: Passed any HashiCorp certification exam.
In your cover letter or resumé, describe a written project you’ve collaborated on with other stakeholders. Please include a link to a sample of your writing.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-SY1 #LI-REMOTE