Manager, Product Education Engineering
United States (Remote)
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
About the role:
As a Manager of Product Education Engineering at HashiCorp, you will lead a small team of Education Engineers as well as create online tutorials for technical practitioners at https://learn.hashicorp.com. Your primary role will be to lead a team of 4-6 content creators but you will also occasionally create instructional content. You will become an expert in HashiCorp products (both open source and enterprise) and will teach others to become experts. You will be the source of truth for operational recommended practices, implementation guidance, and solution architecture.
The Education team at HashiCorp is a fully remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well with a high level of independence and autonomy and can lead a team that spans multiple time zones.
HashiCorp's products include Terraform, Vault, Boundary, Consul, Waypoint, Packer, and Vagrant. You will manage a team creating educational tutorials for one or more of these products.
For this role you should be comfortable working with code and the command line. You should have experience working with cloud infrastructure on AWS, Azure, GCP, or another cloud vendor.
This role is cross-functional between product, engineering, sales engineering, and customer success. You should be excited about taking feedback and requests from the field, coming up with creative solutions to real-world problems, and documenting those solutions for others to learn from. As team lead, you will build content roadmaps based on internal requests, practitioner needs, and product feature launch milestones. You will create an educational vision for practitioner audiences and build a learning journey from beginner to expert. You will communicate that vision to your team and lead them to publish content regularly. You should be passionate about devops, teaching, and education — both internally for HashiCorp employees and externally for HashiCorp users.
Your vision will shape the practitioner's journey to proficiency with HashiCorp products whether they start as a beginner, intermediate, or expert and while learning via written documents, video, or in-browser interactive labs.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Support the career growth for individuals on the education team building and delivering educational resources for practitioners.
- Build content roadmaps based on requests from inside and outside the company. Triage these requests and prioritize based on production difficulty, release dates, and customer demand. Delegate portions of the roadmap to the Education Engineers on your team.
- Write recommended practice guides for using HashiCorp products in a production setting according to modern cloud infrastructure principles and the cloud operating model.
- Review and learn from analytics in order to improve the learning experience and increase retention of active users.
- Write tutorials for teams who are collaborating around HashiCorp Enterprise products.
- Create hands-on coding exercises to help practitioners become confident with HashiCorp products.
- Create diagrams to explain the concepts around using HashiCorp products.
- Convert existing code samples to work on another cloud provider.
- Record product demos using screen capture software.
- Explore other teaching tools for educating users on HashiCorp products.
- Educate HashiCorp sales engineers on the new functionality in each release.
- Collaborate with sales engineers and solution architects to understand customer use cases and document solutions.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- An interest in building a support structure for engineers to help them succeed at their job
- A dedication to modeling and supporting a positive and healthy work life balance
- Experience coaching technical content creators in an educational environment
- A strong and nimble set of technical skills across technologies the team interacts with, such as commonly used infrastructure technologies
- Interest in a management career track in a technical context
- Phenomenal communication skills for working across the organization
- Capable of building strong relationships with peers and leadership
- Experience operating and maintaining production systems in a Linux and public cloud environment
- Experience managing a small remote distributed team
- 5+ years of experience in a customer-facing technical role such as technical trainer, sales engineer, technical account manager, customer success engineer, enterprise architect, software engineer, or other relevant work experience.
- Experience running command line applications and developing/deploying web applications is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - this will be tested during the interview process.
- Experience creating roadmaps and publishing schedules.
- Experience with reviewing and acting on analytics to improve experiences.
- Experience in teaching or education. This could be as a technical evangelist, tutor, or mentor.
- Genuine curiosity in learning how to learn and how to teach others to learn efficiently.
- Experience operating and maintaining any HashiCorp product in a production environment is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with audio/video (recording, microphones, Adobe Premiere Pro, Screenflow or Camtasia) is preferred but not required.
- Experience with graphic design or visual explanations is preferred but not required.
- Experience delivering curriculum, exams, and certifications via training partners is preferred but not required.
- Experience building training labs or online interactive content is preferred but not required.
** Please include a cover letter and any writing samples that you may have
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-SY1 #LI-REMOTE