Software Engineer, Nomad UI
United States (Remote)
At HashiCorp, we have used the Tao of HashiCorp as our guiding principles for product development and operate according to a strong set of company principles for how we interact with each other. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
About the Role
Our team builds and maintains Nomad, a performant, distributed cluster orchestrator that supports heterogeneous workloads including containerized applications, VMs, batch processing, and machine learning frameworks. PagerDuty, Cloudflare, Roblox, Pandora, and many other large organizations run Nomad in production today.
Our customers run Nomad on tens of thousands of nodes, and rely on our tools to operate their own infrastructure and software. Our team cares deeply about reliability and performance.
Some of the future challenges for our team include:
- Improving our onboarding and feature uptake for both open source users and paying customers
- Helping users move between the web UI, CLI, and API as their needs change
- Debugging and inspection capabilities for tasks
- Monitoring and predicting resource utilization
In this role, you can expect to:
- Help define, implement, and improve the Nomad web UI, including administration tools and real-time views of cluster state
- Improve the usability and accessibility of our frontend application(s), mapping complex infrastructure tools to understandable, user-facing features
- Help implement and utilize reusable components across Nomad UI features
- Work closely with our Product, Design, and customer-facing teams to scope and plan for fixes, enhancements, and major releases
- Work primarily on our web frontend, but be willing to dive into API design implementation if you have interest in moving down the stack
- Work from high-level user stories to design Nomad features that are consistent across the Nomad UI, API, and CLI
You may be a good fit for our team if:
- You are comfortable with full-stack testing methods and tools
- You can build user interfaces with a strong eye towards accessibility and user-centered design, including cross-product interactions
- You enjoy working with operations, security, and application teams both internal and external
We’ll be even more excited if anything below applies to you:
- You have worked with open source and/or “open core” products, including locally-hosted and managed deployments
- You have experience building complex enterprise product UIs for technical users
- You are interested in participating and helping to lead every stage of feature design and delivery, from requirements definition to prototyping to release planning and documentation
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, and on the Nomad team in particular. Specifics of your past experience that are relevant to this role are great to include too.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.