Senior Web Engineer, Documentation, Digital Marketing
United States (Remote)
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
About the Role
As a practitioner focused software company, documentation is critical to our customer’s success, and therefore to HashiCorp’s success. To help our customers adopt our products quickly and help fuel our company growth to support them, we’re looking for an experienced web developer to work on the digital marketing team to shape and support HashiCorp's 8+ documentation sites, as well as the platform that manages them.
The team is a hybrid between a digital agency and a product company. We have a lot of projects going on at any given time, and are frequently booting up new, greenfield projects. At the same time, we have plenty of important pieces of infrastructure to maintain, refactor, improve, and keep running smoothly. On top of that, we have a wide variety of work available between frontend, backend, testing, visual programming, and data engineering.
Our team believes that “working in the open” makes us all better. This means that we write down and collaborate on ideas before we start writing code (even if it’s just a few bullet points), that we embrace proofs of concept that communicate the core of an idea and that we start with the “ugly” version of something first to collect feedback. Iteration and progressive improvement makes our work adaptable, modular and ultimately better.
We are currently focused mostly on front-end development, but we do run several small nodejs-based backend services, and our website architecture is built to run any of our sites either as a static site or on-demand server, so it is important that our team members are familiar with nodejs-based server development. Because building quality, reliable services is important to us, all our services have integration tests and excellent test coverage. We also run a lot of tests across the entire range of what is possible to test with several web applications. From Jest unit tests to Cypress integration tests to Percy visual diff generation, our team really cares about having great test coverage across all our projects.
HashiCorp has four commercial products, plus four other open source projects, all with documentation sites. We also run several global event sites, a learning-focused app, and a community forum in addition to the primary company website. This means we have 12+ websites to maintain overall that are consistently being changed and improved.
All of these websites are built on top of next.js, and we have a react-based global component library / design system that we use to keep styling and code standards consistent across them all.
In This Role, You Can Expect To
To work at the intersection of developer experience, accessibility, performance and modern front-end architecture, then this is the role for you. The focus of this position is on improving and supporting our project documentation sites – continuing to drive the HashiCorp documentation experience forward to be world class.
Each product has a team of software engineers, and they write documentation (using MDX) alongside their product code changes. This role has two primary focus areas:
- Creating and supporting a fantastic docs authoring experience for HashiCorp product engineers. This involves working with different teams to customize and improve their docs experience, providing support for engineers, identifying patterns for optimization or abstraction and more.
- Iterating and constantly improving the experience for documentation users. Ensuring that our sites are performant, accessible and beautiful all while getting practitioners to the docs that they need to be successful.
To be successful in this role, you need to have a strong sense of ownership, be able to build relationships across different teams and have good product instincts.
You May Be a Good Fit If You Have
- Deep expertise and experience with React, as it is the core tenet of our architecture and design system.
- Some familiarity with Next.js would be great, but isn’t a hard requirement.
- Thorough experience with node.js and express, familiarity with HTTP and how web servers work.
- Understanding of and experience with both unit and integration testing
- Ability to take on a project and complete it independently with minimal oversight, often working with others and/or mentoring junior developers
- Comfort interacting/collaborating with and presenting for senior staff and members of other teams.
- Consistently clear and professional communication abilities.
- Complete comfort reading others' code and learning new things. There will be a lot of new things to learn here regardless of your experience.
- A team-based mentality. HashiCorp is growing fast and it is of the utmost importance in every technical decision made to first consider how it impacts both the current and future team.
- A good understanding of database design and both relational and nosql data modeling.
- The ability to write clear and concise readmes and documentation, and to thoroughly explain your work both to other developers inside and outside marketing as well as non-technical staff.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-CP1 #LI-Remote