Manager, Infrastructure Engineering - Terraform Cloud
United States (Remote)
The Terraform Platform Engineering group is composed of Site Reliability Engineers and distributed systems engineers working on the Terraform Cloud hosted service. Our group ensures that the platform’s underlying infrastructure, data stores, and core foundational services are reliable, performant, and robust. We work closely with the engineering teams that ship features for both Terraform Cloud and the Terraform Enterprise on-premise product. Together, we comprise the Terraform Commercial organization within engineering.
As our group expands, we’re seeking a manager to lead a group of Site Reliability Engineers that compose our infrastructure team. This manager will be instrumental in shaping the future of the Terraform Cloud infrastructure and tooling, and will directly support the career growth and technical achievements of several talented and experienced engineers.
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, we’d love to meet you! We have a large footprint and a quickly-growing user base, with lots of interesting problems and plenty of opportunities for growth and development.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Provide mission and direction for the team:
- Work with senior leadership to develop an SRE roadmap which supports the organization’s yearly goals
- Lead the SREs to continue to deliver forward-thinking projects and major improvements to the reliability and stability of our infrastructure
- Foster the team’s growth:
- Mentor and coach the SREs, promoting their career growth and professional development
- Expand the team when needed, recruiting and interviewing new SREs which complement the team’s skills and experience
- Foster diversity, inclusion, and equity within the team and across our group
- Advocate for the team and their work:
- Work with other managers to understand shared dependencies, roadmap items, and potential blockers for the team
- Increase visibility for the team and publicly celebrate the team’s accomplishments
You’re a great fit if you have:
- Experience operating and maintaining production systems in a Linux and public cloud environment
- Background in leading infrastructure / DevOps / SRE for large-scale SaaS platforms
- Qualified opinions about driving observability, reliability, and availability for large-scale distributed systems
- Exposure to systems software and services written in Go
- An interest in building a support structure for engineers to help them succeed at their job
- A dedication to modeling and supporting a positive and healthy work life balance
- Experience with a broad swath of the technologies the team interacts with, such as AWS, Docker, and the HashiCorp suite of products (Terraform, Vault, Consul, Nomad, Packer, etc.)
- Interest in a management career track in a technical context
- Phenomenal communication skills for working across the organization, capable of building strong relationships with peers and leadership
- Experience managing a remote distributed team of reasonable size
How We Work
At HashiCorp, we operate according to a strong set of company principles, many of which are described in The Tao of HashiCorp. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team, and this role is no exception. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
About the Application Process
All work requires excellent written communication skills, remote work doubly so. For this reason, we request a cover letter for your application to be considered complete.
In your cover letter, please describe what draws you to working at HashiCorp and to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience are great to include, too.
At HashiCorp, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.