Sr. Site Reliability Engineer, Terraform Cloud
United States (Remote)
The Terraform Platform Engineering group is composed of Site Reliability Engineers and distributed systems engineers working on the Terraform Cloud hosted service. Our group ensures that the platform’s underlying infrastructure, data stores, and core foundational services are reliable, performant, and robust. We work closely with the engineering teams that ship features for both Terraform Cloud and the Terraform Enterprise on-premise product. Together, we comprise the Terraform Commercial organization within engineering.
As our group expands, we’re seeking more Site Reliability Engineers to join the Platform Services team. This team is responsible for building and maintaining the dozen or so “core” services which compose the Terraform Cloud architecture and foundational layer upon which user-facing services are built. In addition to developing our own services, the team also fosters operational maturity efforts in conjunction with the product engineering teams working on Terraform Cloud. These efforts include documentation, training, and tooling related to service ownership, service-level SLO definitions, monitoring and observability, etc.
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, we’d love to meet you! We have a large footprint and a quickly-growing user base, with lots of interesting problems and plenty of opportunities for growth and development.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Dive into problems with an eye to both immediate remediation as well as the follow-through changes and automation that will prevent future occurrences.
- Troubleshoot production incidents that often span across multiple teams, services, and codebases.
- Help develop and evangelize SRE best practices, techniques, and tools to the engineers building our services.
- Model our incident response process, leading by example during incidents and in blameless retrospectives.
- Maintain day-to-day vigilance with regards to operational security while helping to enhance the intrinsic security of the overall production system.
- Collaborate across teams to improve our open source tools based on experiences found from running our own software in production.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation that supports our production services.
You’re a great fit if you have:
- Experience building and supporting the production services for a large-scale SaaS application.
- Experience building and scaling distributed, highly available systems.
- Informed opinions from experience about service ownership best practices, incident response and resolution, and platform resiliency.
- Working knowledge of industry best practices with regards to information security.
- Experience working closely with teams building Go and Ruby/Rails services.
How We Work
At HashiCorp, we operate according to a strong set of company principles, many of which are described in The Tao of HashiCorp. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team, and this role is no exception. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
About the Application Process
All work requires excellent written communication skills, remote work doubly so. For this reason, we require a cover letter for your application to be considered complete.
In your cover letter, please describe what draws you to working at HashiCorp and to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience are great to include, too.
At HashiCorp, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.