Director, Engineering - Consul
United States (Remote)
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizatioåns a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
Consul helps organizations automate network configurations, discover services, and enable secure connectivity across any cloud or runtime. We’ve recently announced the availability of Consul on AWS through our flagship HashiCorp Cloud Platform (HCP), a self-service, fully managed platform offering HashiCorp products as a service to automate infrastructure on any cloud.
The customers and large community of users of Consul are operators, infrastructure engineers, and software developers that encounter novel performance, scaling, and usability challenges that we help them solve.
The teams that make up Consul Core take on a range of responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain the open source Consul, shipping major releases roughly every 4 months and point releases for incremental improvements, security and bug fixes
- Develop and maintain enterprise features used by our large customer base
- Following new developments in the service mesh ecosystem, both in emerging technology and competitive offerings, and looking for opportunities for product differentiation
- Rethinking product architecture to meet new global scale and organizational demands
- Addressing challenges around scalability and reliability as our customers run Consul at scale.
In this role, you can expect to...
- Take ownership for the overall delivery of the teams within the group, working through managers to establish feedback loops that facilitate continuous improvement
- Identify new product scope growth areas and help bootstrap new teams to execute on them
- Collaborate with product management to craft an overall vision and strategy for the group that is aligned with the broader product line and company goals
- Partner with product managers, software engineers, customer success, and business leads to define your team’s roadmap
- Play a mix of roles, including management and coaching, hiring, long term planning, product management partnership, and technical contribution and guidance
You may be a good fit for our team if...
- You have 3+ years of experience managing through managers
- You have managed teams that deliver highly technical products
- You have worked with user bases in open source and/or enterprise contexts
- You have experience with DevOps tooling or infrastructure-as-a-service
- You have familiarity with the challenges in networking across public and private clouds.
- You have expertise in one or more of the major public clouds: AWS, Azure, GCP
About the Application Process
Please note, as communication is a critical aspect of how we work, a cover letter is a great way to provide a sample of how you communicate. In your cover letter, describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, and what draws you to this role in particular.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.