Sr. Engineer - Backend - Terraform Core
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
At HashiCorp, we have used the Tao of HashiCorp as our guiding principles for product development and operate according to a strong set of company principles for how we interact with each other. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
Terraform is an open-source infrastructure as code software tool that provides a consistent CLI workflow for managing infrastructure and codifies cloud APIs into declarative configuration files.
Terraform allows operators to safely and predictably make changes to infrastructure with its clear mapping of dependencies, separation of plan/apply phases, and its registry of over 1000 providers.
About the Role
On the Terraform Core team, we build the open-source core that powers Terraform, a platform and set of tools that enable teams to confidently own and run their infrastructure. Our customers and users place a high level of trust in us, relying on our tools to operate their own infrastructure and software effectively, so we care deeply about reliability and performance.
In this role you can expect to:
- Develop new features and bugfixes for the open-source core that powers Terraform
- Partner with Community team members to ensure the Terraform community of open source contributors and users is healthy and supported
- Work across teams to build great developer experiences for developers of providers and plugins across the Terraform ecosystem
- Help design and build architectures and features in the Terraform CLI and core APIs that offer a seamless experience across Terraform’s open source and commercial offerings
- Help develop and run experiments to chart a course for the next generation of infrastructure automation tooling
- Interact directly with internal teams, users, and HashiCorp customers, as well as the larger Terraform community
- Participate in the full lifecycle of development, from collaborating with peer teams on design through testing and release
- Program mostly in Golang, learning from and contributing to a team committed to peer mentorship and continually improving their skills
You may be a good fit for our team if:
- You’ve worked on large, complex codebases with many users
- You have experience as a Terraform practitioner
- You have experience with or interest in using Go
- You have strong experience using written communication to help others understand your ideas and to gather/incorporate feedback
- You approach new challenges with curiosity, and the idea of participating in and contributing to a learning culture is exciting to you
- You’re able to knowledgeably discuss and balance performance, security, and user interactions in complex systems
What is our hiring process like?
The below serves as a basic outline; we may choose to add or remove steps based on the information that we gather during the process.
- Introductory Call with someone from our recruiting team.
- First Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Interview Loop with additional team members, with the following panel:
- Technical Code Pairing interview
- Code Review interview
- Communication and Collaboration interview
- Systems and architecture interview
- If applicable, a final conversation with the Engineering Manager for the team you would be joining
We do our best to accommodate your programming language of choice for technical interviews.
About the Application Process:
Please note, as collaboration and communication are a critical aspect of how we work, a cover letter is a great way to provide a sample of how you communicate.
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, and what draws you to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience that are relevant to this role are great to include, too.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.