Manager, Engineering - Consul API Gateway
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
We build Consul, Nomad, Vault, Terraform, Vagrant, Packer, Boundary and Waypoint We deploy enterprise products for each in a variety of different ways: licensed and unlicensed binaries, appliances to public cloud platforms, and hosted SaaS platforms. Our products help organizations of all sizes run any infrastructure for any application.
This engineering team is responsible for the newly announced Consul API Gateway, a dedicated ingress solution for intelligently routing traffic to applications running on the HashiCorp Consul service mesh. The team is newly bootstrapped and is working towards building the first technical preview later this year. The initial implementation enables users to configure and deploy individual API Gateways, based on the Kubernetes Gateway API, an emerging standard supported by multiple vendors, and will be a new open source project.
More about Consul
Consul is used at scale as a service discovery and service mesh by a large set of open source users, as well as at companies like Pandora, Roblox, Mercedes Benz, Datadog, Github and PagerDuty. Every engineer on the team has a massive impact through their contributions.
We think infrastructure software should be easy to use, reliable, and scalable and it takes sustained execution to get there. We are still in the early days of evolving the product and have many challenges.
About the Role
This is an engineering management role focused on managing the Consul API Gateway engineering team, and participating in overall product delivery. We expect that applicants would be comfortable playing a mix of roles, including management and coaching, assisting with product management, and enabling and coordinating technical and architectural discussions with their team.
Much of our work and libraries are open source and receive contributions from a large community of users. The majority of our tools and integrations are written in Golang.
In this role, you can expect to...
- Manage and support a growing team of product software engineers
- Support the career growth for individuals on the team
- Hire and grow a team in a fast-growing organization
- Ensure high reliability of your team’s product stack through thoughtful testing and release practices
- Own the full lifecycle of feature development from design through testing and release
You may be a good fit for our team if...
- You’ve managed or supported engineers on small or large teams
- You have experience working with distributed software
- You have experience with customer support or OSS community support
- You have expertise in one or more of the major public clouds
- You’ve worked with engineers utilizing, or worked with, low-level programming language
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, and what draws you to this role in particular! Specifics of your past experience that are relevant to this role are great to include too.
What is our hiring process like...
The below serves as a basic outline; we may choose to add or remove steps based on the information that we gather during the process.
- Introductory Call with someone from our recruiting team.
- Interview with hiring manager
- Interview Loop with additional team members, you'll speak to other managers, a product manager, a designer, and an engineer from the team.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.