Staff Support Engineer- Vault
United States (Remote)
At HashiCorp, we’re building a generation-defining infrastructure software company, powered by our core principles and a growing team of talented, committed professionals working together to help organizations seamlessly transition to and operate in the cloud. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, 85 percent of our employees work remotely, strategically distributed around the globe. From our inception we built the company with a remote-first approach because we believe talent has no boundaries.
Staff Support Engineer
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on mission-critical tasks. We build tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc.
About the Role
HashiCorp is looking for high-caliber customer-facing engineering professionals to join its Support Engineering team as the Staff Support Engineer for one of Hashicorp’s products for the US-based team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced high-volume team and have a direct impact on HashiCorp’s growing business. This highly visible position will be an integral part of the Support Engineering team. You are a fit if you thrive in a fast-paced culture that values essential communication, collaboration, and results. This person is a self-motivated, detailed individual with an eye for critical problem-solving.
Reporting to the Director, Support Engineering, this Staff Support Engineer will be a key member of the Global Support organization and will directly impact customer satisfaction and success. This individual will be directly responsible for resolving customers’ product, configuration, and application issues/questions. They will contribute to product growth and development via weekly product and engineering meetings. They will attend customer meetings as needed to help identify, debug and resolve customer issues and are expected to be a liaison between the customer and HashiCorp engineering. Our Staff Engineers will be responsible for and lead efforts in producing RCAs (Root Cause Analysis) and formal retrospective documents while collaborating with Engineering teams as needed. One of the primary responsibilities of the Staff Engineer is to work directly with the Escalation Manager for all critical production outages. They will play a major role in managing the backend flow of critical customer escalations, reporting to leadership with updates, and all actions required to close the loop on any such incidents.
In this role you can expect to:
- Drive and manage all SEV-1s that have critical and ongoing customer impact (production outage) as well as provide executive-level summary updates as necessary
- Take a leadership role in strategizing with internal staff and customers to solve and prevent the re-occurrence of issues
- Attend product engineering meetings to discuss issues pertinent to the product, technology, or support
- Work with support managers and engineering team members to break down complex problems into manageable pieces and lead the effort in driving the appropriate solution and assist in the implementation (and testing)
- Reproduce and debug customer issues by using or building test environments and tools
- Troubleshoot and identify product problems for presentation to engineering for resolution or disseminates appropriate information necessary to correct issues
- Use strategies to ensure code quality, and collaborate with engineering to help ensure the quality of code change or bug fix (related to a specific critical issue or incident)
- Leverage methodologies to anticipate and mitigate risks and manage complex tasks
- Contribute to product documentation, customer knowledge base, and best practices guides
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to others, in sharing knowledge and product training
- Collaborate with engineers, sales engineers, sales representatives, and customer success to follow up on customer issues for the team
- Implement troubleshooting tools to assist support and engineering
- On-call escalation point for the team.
First 90-120 days:
- Complete and pass product certification
- Ability to effectively communicate proactively with executive leadership
- Ability to independently produce or vet root cause analysis and retrospective documentation
- Ability to create ongoing KB articles that will benefit all customers
- Ability to effectively manage incoming SEV-1s independently
- Solid understanding of the interaction with other HashiCorp Products specific to runtime apps (Vault, Consul, Nomad)
- Create or improve product documentation, troubleshooting, and install guides
- Ability to effectively fix and respond to production down issues with very minimal to no assistance
- Create internal runbooks to address and troubleshoot complex scenarios
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- 12+ years of direct and formal hands-on experience Software Engineering, Development Operations, or System Administration experience
- Strong preference for practitioner or production experience with Vault, Consul, & TF Enterprise (direct DevOps experience)
- Demonstrated strong background in Kubernetes, Distributed Systems, Microservice architecture, and Containers
- Deep understanding of cloud services, especially infrastructure, platform tools, and SRE, with an ability to identify challenges due to scale or usage patterns
- Hands-on experience with scripting tool of choice to help automate reproduction environments (for example, Bash, Python, PowerShell)
- Experience developing cloud-based web applications or services is a plus
- Experience with REST APIs and command-line tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills — technical writing experience a plus
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving urgent, high-visibility technical problems and production outages
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and troubleshooting skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-MM2
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.