Senior Support Engineer, Nomad
At HashiCorp, we value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.About the Job
HashiCorp is looking for a high-caliber, customer-facing, engineering professional to join its Support Engineering team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a small team and have a direct impact on HashiCorp’s fast growing business. This highly visible position will be an integral part of both the support engineering and Nomad Open Source/Enterprise teams.
Support Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy. You are a fit if you thrive in a fast-paced culture that values essential communication, collaboration, and results. You are a self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with an eye for automation, process improvement, and problem solving.
Reporting to the Support Engineering Manager, you will be a key member of the Customer Success organization and will directly impact customer satisfaction and success.
You will triage incoming issues related to Nomad and Nomad Enterprise and independently work to find viable solutions. They will contribute to product growth and development via weekly product and marketing meetings. The Support Engineer will attend customer meetings as needed to help identify, debug and resolve the customer issue and is expected to be a liaison between the customer and HashiCorp engineering. When possible the Support Engineer will update and improve product documentation, guide feature development, and implement bug fixes based on customer feedback.RESPONSIBILITIES:IWANTTODOTHAT
- Reproduce and debug customer issues by using or building existing tooling or configuration. This is what you do the majority of your time in this role.
- Triage and solve incoming support requests via Zendesk within SLA.
- Document and record all activity and communication with customers in accordance to both internal and external security standards.
- Attend product engineering meetings as required to discuss issues pertinent to support.
- Collaborate with engineers, sales engineers, sales representatives, and technical account managers to schedule, coordinate, and lead customer debugging calls.
- Contribute to product documentation, customer knowledge base, and best practices guides.
- Continuously improve process and tools for normal, repetitive support tasks.
- Periodic 24/7 on-call rotation ( one week in every two months )
GOALS: I CAN DO THAT
- Holistic understanding of Nomad/Nomad Enterprise and the interaction with other applications in the HashiCorp product suite
- Successfully perform all common work flows within Nomad
- One contribution to extend or improve product documentation or install guides
- Ability to answer Level 1 support inquiries with minimal assistance
- Successfully play with all the elements presented as Nomad Guides (https://www.nomadproject.io/docs/guides/index.html)
- Demonstrate ability to effectively triage and respond to Level 1 & 2 inquiries independently
- Provision and bootstrap a mutli-region Nomad Cluster with all the advanced features without any assistance
- Ride along on 1-2 live customer debugging calls
- Captain at least one Nomad issue without shadowing the Nomad Engineers
- Contribute one customer knowledge base article from area of subject matter expertise
- Build Nomad from source
- Triage and respond to a Sev1 issue with minimal assistance
- Demonstrate deep familiarity with one of the Nomad internal subsystems: task drivers, Vault clients, client heartbeating, etc
- Ability to take any Nomad ticket without any sort of hand holding
- Find points of error and identify root causes by looking at the log files
- Create several knowledge base articles and have them published
- At least 5 years of Support Engineering
- A minimum of 8 years DevOps Engineering, Software Engineering, or System Administration experience
- Solid understanding of Docker, Kubernetes and container-orchestration
- Previous experience with Nomad, Vault, and Consul is a huge plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Technical writing experience a plus
- Well-organized, has excellent work ethic, pays attention to detail, and self-starting
- Solid understanding of distributed system and microservice architecture
- Interest in cloud adoption and technology at scale
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and troubleshooting skills
- Previous experience with code, either through direct contribution or code-driven troubleshooting.
EDUCATION: GOT IT
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience.
This is a full-time position with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package. You will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and ambitious team. HashiCorp is a series D start-up in San Francisco that is best known for creating a suite of software tools that help enterprise companies automate their infrastructure and helps them migrate to the cloud. HashiCorp’s software suite allows users to provision, secure and run any infrastructure for any application.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-JN1
Apply for this Job
Did we miss something?
Do you believe you'd be a great fit for this role, but the description above doesn't quite match your skills or experience? We'd still like to hear from you.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the latest news and product updates.