Senior Web Developer
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc.
If you apply for this job and are not in the US or Canada, we will have to reject your application.
About the Team
The team is a hybrid between a digital agency and a product company. We have a lot of projects going on at any given time, and are frequently booting up new, greenfield projects. At the same time, we have plenty of important pieces of infrastructure to maintain, refactor, improve, and keep running smoothly. On top of that, we have a wide variety of work available between frontend, backend, testing, visual programming, and data engineering.
HashiCorp has six products all with documentation sites and runs several global event sites and a learning-focused app in addition to the primary company website. This means we have 10+ websites to maintain overall that are consistently being changed and improved. Part of your job will be working on these sites to make them the best they can be. We use an innovative meld of dynamic and static methods to serve the websites, as well as a react-based global component library to keep styling and code standards consistent across them all.
We also run several backend services to keep these sites up and running, from small apps connected with databases to larger login systems and ETL-type provider integrations with user interaction. All of our backend services use node and express, standard tooling for web development. Because building quality, reliable services is important to us, all our services have integration tests and excellent test coverage.
We also run a lot of tests across the entire range of what is possible to test with several web applications. From unit to integration tests, to selenuim-like cypress tests to visual diff generation, our team really cares about having great test coverage across all our projects. We have plenty of error monitoring and dependency checking services running at all times.
Want to let your creative side free? We also frequently work on interactive graphics and animations to include a little extra sparkle on our pages, and to help demonstrate to users how HashiCorp's deeply technical solutions actually work. We frequently have complex animation work and close collaboration with designers in our queue.
Do you like building client-side apps? We lean heavily on React components both for consistency across our many web properties, as well as to build out interactive forms and small apps where needed. We're pretty deep into advanced react patterns, so there's plenty of great react development opportunities. We are currently building out the next generation of our base website architecture on next.js and the latest version of react (yes, hooks included).
If software architecture gets you excited, we have plenty of that. This department is still very new, and we often get to work on greenfield projects, where one project lead can architect a new app, website, or service (or all three) from the ground up. There is also plenty of opportunity to work on existing large, complex projects. Whether it's adding new features, refactoring, or working on testing, there is lots of opportunity to take ownership over important pieces of how the company runs.
If you enjoy growing your skills by working on a large variety of different interesting tasks, you can absolutely do that here. We’ve got many different types of work and you get a say in what is compelling for you.
Requirements & Fit
You may be a good fit for this role if you have:
- Deep expertise and experience with React, as it is the core tenant of our architecture and design system.
- Thorough experience with node.js and express, familiarity with HTTP and how web servers work.
- Understanding and experience with both unit and integration testing
- Ability to take on a project and complete it independently with minimal oversight, often working with others and/or mentoring junior developers
- Comfort interacting with and presenting for senior staff and managers. Consistently clear and professional communication abilities.
- Complete comfort reading others' code and learning new things. There will be a lot of new things to learn here regardless of your experience.
- A team-based mentality. HashiCorp is growing fast and it is of the utmost importance in every technical decision made to first consider how it impacts both the current and future team.
- A decent understanding of database design and both relational and nosql data modeling.
- The ability to write clear and concise readmes and documentation, and to thoroughly explain your work both to other developers inside and outside marketing as well as non-technical staff.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-MM1
Apply for this Job
Did we miss something?
Do you believe you'd be a great fit for this role, but the description above doesn't quite match your skills or experience? We'd still like to hear from you.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the latest news and product updates.