UI Engineer, Design Systems
HashiCorp provides many of the world's most innovative companies with the infrastructure automation capabilities they need to adopt cloud. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our community of users. Product teams at HashiCorp are largely remote. While prior experience working remotely tisn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
Design Systems at HashiCorp
HashiCorp's design system, Structure, defines the visual language used across our suite of products. We're looking for an experienced Engineer to join our new design system team to build the frontend libraries for that visual language. You'll build the system enabling HashiCorp to deliver products with increased reliability and speed, while keeping the user experience quality high—even improving product design overall.
Members of the design system team will collaborate closely with engineering and design to determine needs as well as act as evangelists to ensure widespread adoption and success. As the system matures, you’ll work with product teams to ensure it can support the next generation of products at HashiCorp.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Build and maintain our component and styles library
- Help evolve the frontend infrastructure and architecture
- Construct performant and accessible components, ensuring that our library complies with best practices.
- Collaborate with design, research, and product to build an elegant and performant UX
- Work closely with frontend engineers across multiple products and teams, advocating for system adoption, coordinating and collaborating on design decisions and standard methodologies
You may be a good fit for our team if you:
- Have experience writing reliable, maintainable, and thoughtful code that serves as a core dependency used by many projects and people
- Think in systems; you can see how all the parts fit together, and how a small change can propagate throughout the system.
- Can anticipate how aspects of the system will be used by designers and engineers, and design component APIs for the best default user and developer experience.
- Care about how you can make the system evolve over time—you make design and engineering decisions that make company-wide changes easy.
- Have API and library design experience—you know how to build software that other engineers can use successfully. You care about the overall developer experience and are careful to make the right way of using the system the easiest way.
- Understanding of managing and publishing releases using Git branching and tools like npm and Yarn.
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations.
- Have Ember.js experience. You will be authoring Ember components and addons. Internal Ember developers will be your users.
- Have strong communication skills. You can work with engineers, designers, product managers, and engineering managers to prioritize work and identify opportunities that will benefit multiple teams.
Optional, but nice to have:
- Experience creating accessible components, including knowledge of ARIA and WCAG conformance.
- Experience as a contributor / maintainer of open source projects
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities.
- passion for open source, you get why it exists, why it works, and where it makes the most sense.
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp in particular.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.
Apply for this Job
Did we miss something?
Do you believe you'd be a great fit for this role, but the description above doesn't quite match your skills or experience? We'd still like to hear from you.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the latest news and product updates.