How Groupon Orchestrates Databases as a Service with HashiCorp Consul
Groupon provides centrally managed, containerized database instances to its engineering teams. To make this process faster, more robust, and operationally safe, they deliver Databases-as-a-Service via an orchestration layer backed by HashiCorp Consul.
Sean Chittenden explains how Groupon uses HashiCorp Consul to orchestrate its infrastructure, with particular emphasis on providing database services to the stack. His talk includes:
- How databases are like pets, not cattle
- The complexity of provisioning federated databases
- Dealing with performance issues
- Risk-managing turning off synchronous commit
- Incident response and the human equation