Engineering Manager, Terraform Software Development Toolkit
At HashiCorp, we value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is a fully remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
We build Consul, Nomad, Vault, Terraform, Vagrant, and Packer. Alongside that, we deploy enterprise products for each in a variety of different ways: licensed and unlicensed binaries, appliances to public cloud platforms, and hosted SaaS platforms. Our products help organizations of all sizes run any infrastructure for any application.
About the role
This is an engineering management role focused on our Terraform product line, managing an engineering team and participating in overall product delivery.
HashiCorp views management and technical leadership as two tracks, with a highly technical background being a requirement for both. This role is uniquely technical given the deeply infrastructure-related nature of the product. Given this unique situation, it is expected that applicants would be comfortable playing a mix of roles. In order of priority, this would include management and coaching, assisting with product management, and technical contribution and guidance.
Much of our work and libraries are open source and receive contributions from a large community of users. The majority of our tools and integrations are written in Golang.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Manage the Terraform SDK team members and oversee the process to ensure delivery of new versions / features
- Coach and mentor team members and support career growth and an inclusive team environment
- Partner with SDK stakeholders to support strategic initiatives including reworking/reimagining how people write Terraform providers and plugins
- Collaborate with a very large OSS community and some of the largest infrastructure providers to help address a wide range of use cases
- Document and share processes and practices among Terraform team members
- Contribute to our growing engineering management team and culture
- Hire a diverse team within the US, UK, and Canada
- Ensure the on-time release of well-tested and reliable software
You may be a good fit for our team if you have::
- Experience with API design and SDK architecture or ownership of the delivery of SDK components to large audiences
- Minimum of one year of experience directly managing software engineers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience managing remote teams or working in a hyper-growth environment is a strong plus
- An interest in building a support structure for engineers to help them succeed at their job
- A dedication to modeling and supporting a positive and healthy work life balance
- A strong and nimble set of technical skills across technologies the team interacts with, such as commonly used infrastructure technologies
- Interest in a management career track in a technical context
- Excellent communication skills for working across the organization, capable of building strong relationships with peers and leadership
- Experience operating and maintaining production systems
- Passionate about open-source solutions
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, Terraform or our SDK team in particular.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.
Apply for this Job
Did we miss something?
Do you believe you'd be a great fit for this role, but the description above doesn't quite match your skills or experience? We'd still like to hear from you.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the latest news and product updates.