Software Engineer, Nomad Frontend
Our team builds and maintains Nomad, a performant, distributed cluster orchestrator. Jet.com, CircleCI, PagerDuty, SeatGeek, and many other large organizations run Nomad in production today. Developers and operators interact with Nomad via APIs, a CLI, and the Web UI.
The Nomad Web UI today shows information about running applications. In the future, the UI is well suited to become a developer tool for debugging microservices. Think browser dev tools, but for the health and stability of backend services. It could also provide valuable data that allows decision makers to determine costs of cloud resources.
We are looking for experienced Frontend Software Engineers to tackle these new challenges as we continue to enhance the Nomad UI. You will help design, prototype, and implement core features in the UI.
Much of our work and libraries are open source. The Nomad Web UI is written entirely in Ember.js, leveraging many community projects, such as Mirage, Ember Power Select, Ember Concurrency, and Ember Data Model Fragments. Nomad core is written in Golang.About HashiCorp
At HashiCorp, we value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.In this role, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and backend engineers to build, iterate, and ship new features to make using the Nomad UI a fantastic experience
- Break down high-level project requirements and designs into actionable tickets ready for development
- Become the go-to person for subsystems within the Nomad Web UI, both for other engineers as well as support engineers and customers
- Work closely with frontend engineers across teams spanning the HashiCorp product line, coordinating and collaborating on design decisions and standard methodologies
- Interact directly with internal teams, users, and HashiCorp customers, and represent HashiCorp well to the Nomad open source community
- Drive software engineering best practices, such as automated testing, cross-browser testing, CI/CD, documentation, and more
- You are passionate about user experience
- You are comfortable with HTML, templating languages such as Handlebars and ERB, and CSS (including preprocessors such as SASS)
- You have direct experience with Ember.js
- You have worked on websites with real-time features (e.g., web sockets, server-sent events, long-polling)
- You have experience thinking about data and data visualization
- Golang experience, if you are interested in occasionally contributing to Nomad backend code
- Design experience, if you are interested in occasionally contributing to Nomad’s product design
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, and on the Nomad team in particular.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.
Apply for this Job
Did we miss something?
Do you believe you'd be a great fit for this role, but the description above doesn't quite match your skills or experience? We'd still like to hear from you.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the latest news and product updates.