Armon Dadgar on the To Be Continuous Podcast: Open Source for Enterprise with HashiCorp
May 28, 2019
Armon Dadgar, HashiCorp co-founder, and Glenn Solomon, an early-stage investor in HashiCorp, talk about how open source and Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) can drive an enterprise-facing business strategy.
Armon and Glenn appear in episode #44 of the To Be Continous audio podcast, with Edith Harbaugh and Paul Biggar. In this fascinating episode, they talk about:
- How Armon didn't start out as being interested in or knowledgeable about CI/CD
- How Mitchell Hashimoto, the other co-founder, is a little OCD about automation
- How HashiCorp built a viable business on open source
- The importance of focus
- Why HashiCorp pivoted away from its monolithic "Atlas" plan, in favor of four smaller enterprise products
- How open source can be a Faustian bargain
- The importance of solving workflows, not technologies
- The power of meetups and other face-to-face opportunities
- Infrastructure as code
- When full automation is too risky, consider meta-automation—i.e., automation with guardrails
If you'd prefer to download this podcast episode, you can find it at heavybit.com, where there's also an interactive transcript.