Terraform 0.12 Deep Dive: HCL Enhancements for Infrastructure as Code, Remote Plan & Apply
Learn more about Terraform 0.12, HCL enhancements, and get a demo of the Remote Plan & Apply feature in this webinar.
Software Engineer, HashiCorp
Senior Solutions Engineer, HashiCorp
At HashiConf 2018, we announced the exciting new updates to Terraform 0.12.
With over a dozen new improvements in Terraform 0.12, we’d like to focus on 2 key updates and their use cases: What are the new HCL enhancements and what is Remote Plan & Apply?
HashiCorp software engineer Kristin Laemmert and solutions engineer Arslan Saeed will dive deeper than previous videos into Terraform HCL use cases, and also into a real world demo of Remote Plan & Apply.
» What you'll learn
- Why HCL works well for infrastructure as code
- HCL enhancements overview
- Remote Plan & Apply use cases
- Addressing organizational challenges scaling from Terraform open source to Enterprise
- Demo of Remote Plan & Apply
HCL enhancements provide a more robust, feature-rich language to simplify the process of writing, analyzing, and processing Terraform configurations.
Remote Plan & Apply
Remote Plan & Apply allows the Terraform command to be back-ended and executed by Terraform Enterprise remotely, while still being run in a CI environment or on a developer’s laptop. This keeps secrets secure while preserving your core workflow and abiding by policies or restrictions with infrastructure access.
0:00 — Introduction to Terraform
9:38 — HCL Enhancements for Terraform 0.12
25:00 — Introduction to Terraform Enterprise
30:00 — Demo: Remote Plan & Apply
46:00 — Q&A
- Will Terraform 0.12 be backwards compatible with 0.11?
- When will Terraform 0.12 be available?
- Is there a schedule for when Kubernetes ReplicaSets will be supported?
- Will 0.12 cover cloud nat and cloud router in GCP?
Here's an early upgrade guide for Terraform 0.12.