Software Engineering Intern, Consul
At HashiCorp, we value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
HashiCorp is at the epicenter of the cloud adoption wave, helping shape how the world’s largest enterprises are running their IT infrastructure. We provide many of the world's most innovative companies with the infrastructure automation tools they need as they move to cloud. All of our foundational technologies are open source and developed openly. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
We build Consul, Nomad, Vault, Terraform, Vagrant, and Packer. Alongside of that, we deploy enterprise products for each in a variety of different ways: licensed and unlicensed binaries, appliances to public cloud platforms, and hosted SaaS platforms. Our products help organizations of all sizes run any infrastructure for any application.
This is a full-time summer internship and will report to the Engineering Manager of the Consul team.
On the Consul team, we develop tools for service discovery, config management, and health monitoring. Our customers place a high level of trust in us, relying on our tools to operate their own infrastructure and software effectively, so we care deeply about reliability and performance.
This internship opportunity is unique for several reasons:
- A “remote-first” team. Your colleagues will be distributed across multiple time-zones, from GMT to PST. We suggest participants work from anywhere within North American time-zones to ensure easy communication and effective support. Some travel to our San Francisco HQ may be suggested to learn more about the company. Travel will be reimbursed.
- Open source participation. Not all of the work the Consul team does is open source, but you can definitely expect to to contribute publicly to the project during your time at HashiCorp. These public contributions can be a valuable artifact to take with you after the internship concludes.
While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for participants who feel they will learn given a high level of independence and autonomy.
In this internship, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with our engineering team to work on next-generation distributed systems for infrastructure management
- Learn about open source communities in software
- Get up close and experience the challenges of maintaining a tool used at large scale by some of the biggest organizations
- Embed on the Consul team, attending planning meetings, stand-ups, and architecture discussions
- Contribute meaningful patches and features to Consul, working within the development process used at HashiCorp
- Program mostly in Golang
You may be a good fit for the internship if:
- You have an interest in high performance or distributed systems
- You’ve worked on software projects with teams (professionally or in your studies), coordinating work, communicating milestones, and keeping written records
- You’re interested in discussing performance, security, and user interactions in complex systems
- Experience contributing to open source and using Golang are both a plus, but not required
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in this internship at HashiCorp. Specifics of your past experience or studies that are relevant to this role are great to include, too.
This is a paid internship. Participants are expected to be enrolled in a Computer Science (or similar) graduate (PHD, Masters) or undergraduate (Bachelors) program. Please use your personal email address instead of academic address to ensure no interruptions to our communication.
At HashiCorp, we are committed to cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!
Apply for this Job
Did we miss something?
Do you believe you'd be a great fit for this role, but the description above doesn't quite match your skills or experience? We'd still like to hear from you.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the latest news and product updates.