Manager, Product Education Engineer - Terraform
Location: Remote US or Canada
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc.
As a Manager, Product Education Engineer at HashiCorp, you will lead a small team of Terraform Education Engineers as well as create online guides and training materials for Terraform practitioners. You'll be both a team lead and a content creator. You will become an expert in Terraform (including Terraform Cloud) and teach others to become experts. You will be the source of truth for operational recommended practices, implementation guidance, and solution architecture.
The Education team at HashiCorp is a fully remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy. Terraform is an infrastructure automation tool that is operated entirely in code and on the command line. Terraform Cloud builds on that with a user interface for team collaboration around infrastructure, plus a code-based security tool for enforcing deployment policies. For this role you should be comfortable working with code and the command line. Terraform interfaces with hundreds of services in the areas of cloud computing, storage, networking, data logging, CI/CD, version control, and others.
This role is cross-functional between product, engineering, sales engineering, and customer success. You should be excited about taking feedback and requests from the field, coming up with creative solutions to real-world problems, and documenting those solutions for others to learn from. As team lead, you will build content roadmaps based on internal requests, practitioner needs, and product feature launch milestones. You should be passionate about devops, teaching, and education — both internally for HashiCorp employees and externally for HashiCorp users.
Your vision will shape the practitioner's journey to proficiency with Terraform whether they start as a beginner, intermediate, or expert and while learning via written documents, video, in-browser interactive labs, or in a classroom.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Support the career growth for individuals on the education team building and delivering educational resources for Terraform practitioners.
- Build content roadmaps based on requests from inside and outside the company. Triage these requests and prioritize based on production difficulty, release dates, and customer demand. Delegate portions of the roadmap to the Education Engineers on your team.
- Write beginner, intermediate, and expert training materials to be delivered in-person by HashiCorp trainers and online.
- Write recommended practice guides for using Terraform in a production setting.
- Write guides for teams who are collaborating around Terraform Enterprise
- Write clear guides for specific Terraform use cases
- Create hands-on coding exercises to help practitioners become confident with Terraform
- Create slides and diagrams to explain the concepts around using Terraform
- Convert existing code samples to work on another cloud provider
- Record product demos using screen capture software
- Explore other teaching tools for educating users on Terraform
- Educate HashiCorp sales engineers on the new functionality in each Terraform release
- Collaborate with sales engineers and solution architects to understand customer use cases and document solutions
You may be a good fit for this role if you have:
- An interest in building a support structure for engineers to help them succeed at their job
- A dedication to modeling and supporting a positive and healthy work life balance
- A strong and nimble set of technical skills across technologies the team interacts with, such as commonly used infrastructure technologies
- Interest in a management career track in a technical context
- Phenomenal communication skills for working across the organization, capable of building strong relationships with peers and leadership
- Experience operating and maintaining production systems in a Linux and public cloud environment
- Experience managing a small remote distributed team
Required Skills & Experience
- 4+ years of experience in a customer-facing technical role such as technical trainer, sales engineer, technical account manager, customer success engineer, enterprise architect, software engineer, or other relevant work experience.
- Experience running command line applications and developing/deploying web applications is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - this will be tested during the interview process.
- Experience in teaching or education. This could be as a technical evangelist, tutor, or mentor.
- Genuine curiosity in learning how to learn and how to teach others to learn efficiently.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience operating and maintaining Terraform in a production environment is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with audio/video (recording, microphones, Adobe Premiere Pro, Screenflow or Camtasia) is preferred but not required.
- Experience with graphic design or visual explanations in preferred but not required.
- Experience delivering curriculum, exams, and certifications via training partners is preferred but not required.
- Experience building training labs or online interactive content is preferred but not required.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be #LI-EC1
Apply for this Job
Did we miss something?
Do you believe you'd be a great fit for this role, but the description above doesn't quite match your skills or experience? We'd still like to hear from you.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the latest news and product updates.